Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Couldnt agree more. Too funny as I was just saying the same of the 1980 to a friend

He was asking me about it as a friend of his may have a lead on a troubled one.

I was telling him how its really far from a good option short of turning it for a better setup. I told him how it is a complete nightmare to work on. Also the cost to rebuild it properly would be a crazy sum minus unit purchase alone. Even on a fluke you get it for say $100-500 your still going to spend more than that just to do a basic rebuild. Heck a full rebuild would be double that Id guess. AND FOR WHAT!

Not that its a bad receiver. Just like you say, when approaching $1K-2 your well in the range of FAR better gear IMO.

I remember not long ago a fellow on another site was selling a lovely Aragon 4004 for around $700. Now we are looking at a 200 WPC amp that can drive any speaker out there no problem and sound wonderful doing so. Incredibly well made. Easy to service (by comparison especially). To me a 4004 and a 1980 are not even in the same ball park. Again not that a 1980 is terrible. Just totally different beasts on many levels. Heck for $1K and under you could grab a used Parasound HCA amp and preamp. Again a better option IMO. Then like you say at $3K you should have your head examined and or been someone for an actor to base a character off of in Wolf of Wallstreet LOL...

Then I come to learn his bud has a pair of vintage Altec speakers. Oh good lord... Why not tow your Honda Spree home with your friend's 18 wheeler :) Just as desirable effects.

I mentioned to him right now in our area on Clist someone (prob someone on this forum LOL) has a HK 730 for $150 and another fellow has a slightly over priced Pioneer SX-1010 for $600. If his bud listens at normal levels that 730 would be an end all. If he listens at levels to shake the walls grab the man that started it all, the 1010. He could have the best of either world for sane $. If he has to go vintage receiver couldnt go wrong with either. And have a rebuild for a reasonable sum.

Heck buy a rebuilt Dynaco tube and a home made pre for under $1K.

Anyway it is funny where the vintage scene has gone. Still plenty of great options for reasonable money. Just as Public Enemy says, Dont Believe the Hype ;)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.