Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Advertising got the work done...

Pioneer made everything under the sun.
They advertised it on the inside front cover two-pages worth, back cover and all over the magazines in the day.

For this reason Tom, Dick and Harry rolled to the local dealer dying to buy the BIG pioneer but they could only afford the little guy and today, well T, D & H have the wherewithal to buy what they want and have bid up the Pioneers well past their performance level.

But they are well built and have some of the best service manuals around. All the gear back then was generally discrete and easily repaired with parts available today.

As the Yen started to rise in value the size of the transformers started getting smaller and the major brands decided to make gear selections for the public, building a stack of gear to stuff into a glass-fronted cabinet and provide a pair of speakers the same size as that cabinet. Junk mostly and the end of most decent vintage gear, 1983-1985.

As stated there are better brands. I'm not naming my preference because folks search the web and learn, upping demand and prices.

No way in hell is a Pioneer SX-1980 worth the 3 grand it can get. For 3 grand one can get a really nice preamp poweramp and tuner with money left over.

DAng vintage craze, just like muscle cars.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.