Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

I'll be happy to respond

I started ripping selected CDs about eight years ago so that I could make copies for the cars. I really didn't want to scratch the originals. My computer had somewhat limited space back then (120 GB) so I wasn't able to keep them all.

After I had accumulated a bunch, I suddenly realized how nice it was for me to immediately select any track from those CDs for playback while I worked on the computer.

Fast forward to today. All my digital content (mostly ripped CDs, some hi-rez downloads and MP3s) is stored on my current computer that feeds four different systems. I use Touch players in the main and garage systems, Foobar2000 on the computer which drives the in house audio system and can stream to anywhere else on an iPad. I now spend more time listening and zero time shuffling disks in and out of cases and transports. Random play has allowed me to rediscover some jewels that I forgot I had!

How do you proceed? First of all, understand that with a library of that size, it is going to take months to rip all of them. You can't eat an elephant in one sitting. Don't let that deter your enthusiasm. I'm convinced the effort is definitely worth it.

1. I prefer storing my music in FLAC and use dbpoweramp for ripping and format conversion duties. I batch transcode content in Apple lossless for use with my iPhone.

2. iTunes will work if all your listening will be done via Apple devices.

3. Remember to override the default setting to lossless. You can always downgrade to lossy versions later, but the reverse would require re-ripping.

Preferences-->General-->Import settings-->Import Using-->Apple Lossless encoder

Along the way, you may decide that there's value for you as well. You can always purchase dbpoweramp (or other music software suites) for about $40 if you need to transcode the Apple format into something else. I still make some CDRs for the cars and transcode those into WAV before burning.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.