Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: bed bugs infestations in vintage components

Thanks all for your thoughts on this.

Seriously, I think we really have to come up with a plan. Bring our minds together kind of thing. We all know this (bed bugs) is an increasing problem... If I were to continue doing this - monitoring eBay and craigslist (and even Audiogon, 'cause why not?...) etc. for opportunities and bringing that stuff home - I'd better come up with a plan. For instance, bed bugs don't typically like much to be in metallic chassis', even less in plastic, especially cold, solid state, environments - but vintage wood enclosures? Perfect environment. So the danger is clear and present.

The closest I came with a plan is this - the first stop in my house for anything is inside a zappbug or thermalstrike type heater until the thing runs its cycle. They seem to be many and easy to find (not really cheap...), and can accommodate the typical size of a standard or almost standard component. Will it damage it? One way to find out... crank it up. Can I still leave eBay feedback for a thing that doesn't work after this? Probably not.

The only alternative is exclusively buying from known sources. But then, the bargain aspect is probably gone.

Further thoughts?...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.