Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: How close was the WD-90

The MK 17 had a slightly more elaborate cabinet with a decorative molding around the front than the WD 90 But they were the same speaker inside.

The confusing part is that there was a variation using the same three drivers with a port and a slightly bigger box, and another variation with horns replacing the big cone mid and tweets, and still another variation that had 2 cone tweets but no mid as such.

If you read the specs on the ones with the 8-inch cone mid, it says the crossover frequencies were at 2500 wnd 3500 Hz, so it really added only a short (but important) frequency range. The paper-cone Utah 12-inch woofer was able to play quite high up compared with current 12-inch speakers (or even most avilable then), and then roll off smoothly without so much as an inductor. Part of the genius is in a design that required few crossover parts. Raw Utah drivers were well suited to simple DIY systems that did not get bogged down in a lot of esoteric crossover theory. That is where the David Weems books come in that used Utah-made Radio Shack drivers.

For fans of low-wattage tube amplication, I read that the Utah speakers are a very fine match, as they are far more efficient than most acoustic suspension designs being built in that time period.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How close was the WD-90 - DavidLD 11:41:11 03/17/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.