Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

wishbookweb link

You guys already know about this link, right? Its fun to look at the progress of electronics in the various Christmas catalogs. In particular, transistor radios got cheaper and improved significantly during the 1960s, and these were much sought-after gifts by people both big and small. Keep in mind that a $35 transistor radio from the early 1960s would be well over $100 in current inflation-adjusted dollars. Of course, the TV sets are very expensive in inflation-adjusted dollars and poor quality compared with current "throw-away" flat panels. Buyers supported a whole industry of storefront "TV repairmen" and having a good repairman identified and on call was a necessity. An entirely new B&W picture tube cost $40 plus maybe $25 labor, and many people did that. A cheaper alternative was the so-called picture brightener, easily-installed and about $6, that might keep your old tube going for another 6 or even 12 months (if you were lucky).

As the TV repairman took a look at your fading, dull picture, he would say "we COULD try putting a brightener on that!"

If I could somehow be transported back once more to the land of battery- powered mini-reel tape recorders that lacked even a capstan, would I go? I dont know!

David

Edits: 03/17/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - wishbookweb link - DavidLD 06:52:03 03/17/15 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.