Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: I am not going to argue

Would you care to cite a few of these studies. As to your claim ss has no moving parts is erroneous. It as not fewer parts and may have far more. When ss came out so did the race to add features and most required more mechanical controls and even introduced relays. In tube and early SS many controls are off the shell used for decades by all. Then came the custom designed switches used only in a specific model. Worse afe those custom op-amps, ICs, STKs and limited production transistors. In fact entire generations of ss units are ticking bombs as they have germanium transistors and there are none in production and it is more difficult to modify a circuit to use something new than rewiring a tube socket. And, many of the more popular tubes are back in production.

Then there are the early pcb phenolic boards that absorb contaminants. Yes, at the end of the tube era some companies such as Dyna used them but, reproduced are mad today. No one makes a replacement board for any say Marantz.

Designers and engineers can extend or shorten a tube of ss device's life by design. Tubes tend to weaken over time but transistors tend to fail catastrophic. Worse they become noisy and it is trial and error to find that. Also, do a parts count on most tube and ss units. Most of the time there are more parts in an equivalent ss units than tube and it means more parts to eventually fail.

Your position is the same as the marketeers of most audio companies back in the early SS days but that quickly dies out as the numbers came in from repair centers. In fact, I suspect if stats are still compiled the designed life expectancy of new ss designs is even shorter than the germanium based units.

I have read a few of your threads and really wonder about your background and experience in the hobby as well as intent. It seems in most of them you quite literally want to incite all.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.