Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Back in 1966

..my mom would have been 55 years old. We had just aded a new living room on our house, and mom wanted Wall-to-Wall carpet on the floor. A color called "bitter green" was all the rage, as we were in the middle of the period of infatiation with green and harvest gold. Bitter green was a bit more of a pure green than the more yellowish avocado green.

So we went over to Montgomery Wards in Minot, and mom found some bitter green nylon carpet she liked, and it was on sale for $6.49 a sq yard.

Mom thought that was a very good deal (it was, as it was a carpet that stickered for about $12 a yard), but she was also worried.

So, she said to the salesman "Is that carpet you have on sale durable?"

The salesman (who was probably about my mom's age..he had worked at Wards selling carpet probably for decades) said to my mom:

"Ma'm, This carpet is so durable it will last longer than you do!"

Mom felt a bit insulted, but she went ahead and bought the carpet.

The interesting thing is that carpet is still in the farm living room, and although it isn't exactly new any more, it still looks quite good and is not worn.

Mom died in 2004.

I remember after they laid it we discovered a tiny spot where the carpet looper machine missed a stitch or loop. Wards actually came out with a device they had and replaced the loop. I think they took a thread from the scrap piece of carpet.

Montomery Wards was a good store, better in many ways than Sears.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.