Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Denon DRA-635r steeo receiver purchase

I bought a '91-93 Denon DRA635r FM/AM stereo receiver from a resale shop yesterday. I've had 3 other newer Denon receivers '04,'06, '10 in the past and this is best sounding one of them all.

It has the attributes that I read Denon is all about. The sound is warm and pleasant yet there is a nice amount of detail and clarity. Though it is warm sounding the bass has good detail and its easy the follow the rhythm. What is particularly nice is there is a good swing to the music that is captivating. From memory it has a bit of the nice sonic signature of a mid '90s Pass Labs Aleph 30 Class-A amplifier I had at one time.

Peering down through the cover vents there is a round shielded transformer cover, either concealing a potted transformer or toroidal transformer. There are also 4 power supply caps vs. 2 in the other 3 Denon receivers I owned, with separate machined aluminum heat sinks for left and right channel. The fm/am tuner is an actual separate discrete circuit board vs. the little plug-in tuner packs of the newer receivers. This is important to me as I listen to a fair amount of FM, and the sound is very rewarding to my ears. Denon seems to have lost its way with their newer receivers and the sound seems to have gotten thin sounding. I'm quite impressed with this semi-vintage (early 90's) stereo receiver.

With all my praises, I'm not saying this is a state-of-art audiophile product, but it better than any '70's vintage or modern stereo 2 channel receiver I've owned.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - Denon DRA-635r steeo receiver purchase - mjcmt 16:51:35 03/14/15 (14)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.