Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Pinging Davidl: utah as2a tweeter response

you will be fine I think. Utah speakers tend to be pretty efficient. An LPad will allow you to fine tune the overall tweeter volume. But remember, the three ways have an 8-inch mid-range that play about to the top range of the 8 inch woofer on the 2-ways. If you get too much output in the 3500 HZ range with the horns, you could adjust the size of the cap on the horn a bit to roll it off in its lower range.

THe neat thing about Utah is that the woofer rolls off without an inductor and the only question mark is the size of the cap on the tweeter. But that is straightforward compared with the messes the current DIY crowd gets themselves into with 12 db-per-octave slopes. Electrolytic caps are cheap. You could get several of them of different sizes and treat the choice as an experiment. I just use solderless connectors to put the electrolytic cap in series in the tweeter circuit, then I can change my mind with ease.

Or, just drop them in with the existing cap in the circuit and see how they sound.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.