Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Sorry but I smell BS

According to schematic and parts list I found, that 4uF cap is between a GZ34 and choke in the power supply. As long as it isn't plain old bad it wouldn't effect balance in any way. Just check to see if plate voltage on output tubes is close between the two amps.

What isn't clear is when your amp was made. It would help to know if it was 50's (which I doubt from picture) or the recent remake.

They are a ton of easily had parts that would work fine. A lot depends on if the 4uF value was picked to achieve a certain B+ voltage (somewhere between cap/choke input filter). If that is the case you want a 4uF poly or PIO cap. If not I'd go with a larger cap....around 20uF to 40uF. Again a poly or PIO. Motor run caps are an attractive choice and I like the older GE 27F series.

In no case can I see any upside to trying to locate something special given the caps location in the circuit. Yes you would like the caps to be close in value. But the real measure of that is what voltage you deliver to output transformers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.