Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Good point, so let's try to determine what is psycholgy, what is science and what unfortunately is business

1.Psychology-Crazy Dave makes a good point that there is no perfect speaker and we do have to pick our poison when choosing any audio component. This is where psychology comes in. A person that likes death metal may very well LOVE the ceramic magnet sound and think that alnico is too pretty sounding. Sales is actually kind of easy if realize that we have TWO ears and ONE mouth. So first you listen to the customer and when they are done talking, you say how many of those would you like and in what color? Although it is my belief that alnico comes the closest to reproducing the most realistic sound than any other permanent magnet so far, some people don't like reality....who am I to argue with them?

2.Science unfortunately is not something the average user gets to do unless they have the time, knowledge and/or money to run tests and research on their own. So most of us are left to rely on the science given to use in white papers and sales lit from a company. Only when we do our own tests can we read what was left out between the lines.

3.Business- Unfortunately for the the music and sound industries so many industry leaders have given us the more profitable choice and the science of the better choice is downplayed to the detriment of the enjoyment of music lovers everywhere.

At one point I even pondered the idea that musical and hifi equipment manufacturers should all be required to be non profit and maybe then we all could have gear that no compromises for greed and be affordable to all as well? I will probably get flamed for this thought and given a one way ticket to see how well Russia is doing with that concept but hey, I am trying to help the gear junkies out there with audio nervosa, I feel your pain as I was one of you at one time.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.