Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Ceramic replacments are not the same and I can prove it!

Michael the more I read your post the more errors I find and I
feel the whole post is in some ways more detrimental than beneficial
even if you do have some true facts in there.

If you have actually worked behind the closed doors of any speaker company
and have any first hand knowledge of marketing and engineering stories that can legally be released to the public I want to hear about but I think some the info you put in the post is just parroting somewhat true info and beaten to death legend stories mixed with marketing crap companies have fed us for years. Sorry if I am a little confrontational here but Michael what you are saying is just harmful information and utterly false and I can prove it:

Michael's post states:

"To be able to continue production of the speaker systems in their catalogs, the ferrite bass drivers had to be the exact sonic equivalents of the Alnico drivers they replaced."

So company lit says ferrites are exact sonic equivalent as alnico, huh? I urge all to try the simple test I outline below.
If you ever have an alnico and ceramic woofer, mid, tweeter driver that have the same factory model designation and no cones or diaphragms in the drivers it is a really quick and easy eye opener.

1. Carefully take a smallish screwdriver or other metal object with a grip
and lay it horizontally on the ceramic driver. Move it around so you can feel the shape of the magnetic field that is present all around the gap.

2.Now carefully take the same screwdriver, etc and repeat on the alnico driver. Even if the alnico is discharged a little that field is going to feel quite different and way more tight and focused than the cermic model with the same model designation.

You say, but....the company assured me the drivers were the same!!! How come these fields feel so different? That radically different field shape and density couldn't possibly have an effect on the sound? right?!
This pretty much is black and white science here and not my subjective opinion in any way, just a cold hard fact easily verifiable.

Edits: 02/25/15 02/25/15 02/25/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.