Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: phono noise floor

Fact: S/N in phono is poorer than line level sources, especially digital. You may be running into some fundamental limits.

1st, buy a pair of culled phono grade 12AX7LPS tubes from AA sponsor Jim McShane. 2nd, clean your switches with Caig DeOxit. You may get adequate relief by installing superior noise factor 'X7s and switch cleaning.

If, as I fear, top notch tubes and switch cleaning do not provide sufficient relief, reengineering may be needed. Do you exploit the multiple EQ capabilities of the unit? If not, as is so frequently the case, getting switches out of mV. level signal lines is very much in order. A single pair of RCA jacks hard wired to the low level mag. preamp permanently configured for RIAA is the way to go. All source selection occurs at line level, where it is less likely to cause grief. Fewer mechanical connections in the signal path NEVER hurts.

Passive EQ phono sections exhibit better overload behavior than active EQ setups. The tweaked RCA setup I've uploaded exhibits superior bass extension and it REALLY can drive the recording O/Ps. ;>) A little TO92 case LR8 regulator in each channel takes care of the 250 VDC requirement and makes for good channel separation.

Eli D.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.