Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Vintage speakers. Alnico Ferrite so on. The good the bad and ugly. Experiences audiomind ;)

1.Gauss- you got me there, I avoided all Gauss drivers at the reconer because the old guys hanging there at the time said they were tough and sounded like crap plus I never wanted to recone that double spider and mess it up. I want to tell you I have not tried every driver in the world, just as many key popular drivers I could get my hands on. Also remember even the dealer cost at the reconer for TAD and other high end drivers is still really high so I have not tried everything out there by any stretch of the imagination. Also remember I never had the money to buy a Ferrari at one time, only adding up the cost of all the drivers I tried over time would add up to about the cost of nice used Ferrari.

2.I think Hartsfield used a smooth cone 150 or something, I don't care for the Hartsfield it is a speaker that perpetuates the "all horns are colored myth" Like so many vintage JBL designs, Hartsfield has great drivers and terrible execution.

3.K151, now if you are using the driver in a folded bass horn below 300hz or so, the metal dustcap should not be audible, might even be a plus being so stiff. Sometimes you just have to try things out. I try not to ever use folded or bent horns above 120hz if possible personally.

4.Tl1602- great woofer for a direct radiator in a big box, as nice as it sounds it is still a direct radiator.

5.D,K 140 drivers all have ribbed cones, if not they have been reconed incorrectly.

You mentioned earlier correctly that the cone or diaphragm are important and I say yes, just because a driver has an alnico magnet does that mean it is a good driver. If it has an incorrect or cheap aftermarket cone it is gonna sound like crap no matter what.

I will say again you have quite a bit of stuff there that may be "all good" but maybe not all "great" or at least you don't really need a lot of it if you even forget you have it! lol...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.