Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: No I read it. You talk in conceptual terms allot IMO. Be great to know specifics too

Electronic crossovers....hmm....got some stories, my buddies system had the not exactly cheap 4 way Ashly xr4001 which is 24db slopes.

He sent it back to the factory, still noisy....shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......
we tried hard to get unity gain for lowest noise in the signal chain, no luck, Ashly just makes some noisy beast's I guess. Not for use on 109 db or high sensitivity horns in a domestic environment. Guess all that "steep slope" circuitry in there is causing quite a bit of noise.

Anyway I have found steep slopes 24db and up on horns does several things.

1. sound fake as hell

2. never allows drivers to blend as a whole speaker, you always seem to hear woofer, mid, tweeter, super tweeter all as separate drivers.

3. Lets sound guys doing live music "get loud". 48db slopes get REALLY loud for the amount of power and speakers and sounds REALLY fake.

With the best drivers and horns you do 6db slopes either active or passive
for amazing sound but really things need to be pretty sorted out to do the 6db thing. Worth the struggle in my opinion though.

I hate to recommend such an old and sometimes worn out piece of gear with early ic cheese ball chips and everything but the 1970's Furman TX series of crossovers are probably something you would like the sound of...when they are cleaned up and working well.

Since you are on a budget I think you can sell the Ashly or other low end crossover and get some Furman's. I buy the TX-2's and 3's for around $50 each and run them mono three way to get a dual mono design. The 3-5 way mono Tx's sometimes bring some more money depending on the condition as any other piece of vintage gear and the prices are all over the place on them. Worn input pot is usually the main problem with all these old Furmans though.

As far as the low end pro crossovers go, Ashly, Rane, DBX, etc, etc, the silly old Furmans just sound so clear and natural to me compared to any of those and even though the Furmans are not exactly quiet being unbalanced and a very old solid state design, they are not distraction like the Ashly on the high sensitivity speakers.

For little money the Furmans are fun, not really a marchand, bryston quality level here, but the Furmans are cheaper and adjustable and will fit your budget.

My buddy has racks and racks of Furmans for his studio and live gear.
Most all the Furmans need the electrolytic caps replaced in them because most of the caps are starting to leak at this point causing noise.

When I replace the electrolytic caps it makes the old Furmans pretty quiet for what they are. Don't go replacing anything that you don't have to, the circuit boards have very thin traces.

Some of the earliest Furmans have phase switches inside, you need to make sure these are in the correct positions. Almost all the Furmans need to be sprayed out with pro pot cleaner, just takes one scratchy pot to blow a speaker. I think you can guess how I learned that years ago.

I don't care if this info drives up the cost of Furman tx crossovers, people need to hear how good that cheesy old design sounds and make sure they are not doing worse with newer or better known gear. Also lets save some of the Furmans from the trash heap. ;)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: No I read it. You talk in conceptual terms allot IMO. Be great to know specifics too - Audio Mind 14:45:21 02/22/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.