Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: thanks very much for the followup and explanation

I have not messed with 130's in quite a while and after I discovered 2220's I retired all my 130's to guitar amps or to vintage hifi collectors if they were rare original coned models. Don't flame
me if I am wrong but I think most of the 130's have slightly less xmax than the 2220's.

Keep your 130's until you get some original paper surround edge 2220's and compare. They are so close but they are not the same, Lansing Heritage forum can explain all the little details between the two drivers. Metal dust cap on the 130's is not really used in hifi anymore, I am not even going to make a comment on the the metal versus paper caps sound, please listen, I think you will have a preference right away.

Paper surround versions of either speaker have MUCH greater detail if you are going the stretch up to 400-500hz.

If your 130's or 2220's are original paper edge drivers you probably don't want to go below 80-90 hz in a bass horn and 120hz as a direct radiator unless you don't care about wearing them out pretty fast and the cost of recone with a real JBL kit is pretty high.

I don't think any 15's would work well in your 12" j horn, different back chamber requirements plus they may not even physically fit? throat is probably too small also.

I understand what you mean about a high efficiency JBL 12" in the horn not being as impressive as it should. D120, etc. seems like it should be better than it is but 2220 blows the it away for hi fi or even pa use.
Ahhh here I go again driving up the cost of 2220's, my favorite all around
15" driver by JBL.

The 2220 works in these applications fantastic: 35-120hz in a bass horn and on a straight 80 or 100hz up to 400 flat as a mid bass horn driver. 120-900hz flat in a tiny cab as a direct radiator.

Yeah I know the K-horn guys are going to say "my K-horns" go from 35-400
on the bass and I would say that huge time delay and lack of upper bass lower mid harmonics is too big an issue for me but hey obviously doesn't bother some as much as myself. K-horns rock for parties just as they are though!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.