Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: I don't know if you guys remember or not a few years ago I had gone on a buying binge of woofers and

I am always curious about the guys who like ceramic better than an alnico version of a driver in a system and I have two things to add.

1. I would say if you like ceramic better than alnico anywhere in your system, then examine your signal chain. When I mentioned that some people have had luck with ceramic and certain solid state amplifiers, I am guessing the lower resolution of the ceramic is helping cover up a problem in the signal chain.

2.I can listen to a properly set up alnico magnet system all day and
want more at the end of the day! I bet there is no one out there that could say the same about their ceramic magnet stuff if you are honest with yourself. I am guessing at best an hour or two with ceramics?

Some day when I get my stereo tube mics I am building from scratch completed, I will put up some audio examples of ceramic and alnico drivers with equivalent drivers and identical cones. Even with the audio compression on youtube the differences will be very obvious on most drivers.

Even though I think there will be no debate with my audio samples for any one listening, I could be wrong about that as well. I have noticed
that when humans are shown an error they don't don't like to admit it, especially if it is an error like recommending ceramic drivers to people
for years.

Another phenomena might be that people get used to low quality goods. A crazy example I was told years ago was when a high end grocery store was donating expensive food to low income or let's say basically starving people. Now these people that are used to cheap processed food preferred the cheaper, processed food over the good stuff every time, even if they were hungry!...that's pretty crazy stuff.

Human psychology is quite interesting to me and in the future I will get to the bottom of all the reasons why there is even a debate on alnico versus ferrite. I think I am getting there.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.