Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Show em a pic of the amp collection. It will make the speaker one look like a pack of gum :)

Mike you rule. A tried and true hobbyist to the dieing day!

I completely agree with you. On compression drivers Ive heard good and bad from both. IMO its far more to do with the diaphragm and horn more than anything. I own and really like the 2426H too. Great driver with wonderful power handling and sounds easy on the ears IMO when driven with the right amp within its range.

Those 2435H really remind me of my TAD2001.Beyond the BE dome they have a similar looking response curve. That gradual roll off at about 17K. No wonder they have a nice top end and likly wouldn't be fatiguing at all. The 2426H has a sharper roll off. But its top end isnt that bad. But there no comparison if you add a "super tweeter" of sorts.

For a mid compression driver, theres nothing wrong with the alnico JBL 2440/2441. Wonderful unit that sounds glorious. I can see why Bruce liked em. They are not asked to be top end sources in most cases. This is needed as they drop off like a rock. For upper mid / mid its great! Has decent power handling too for home use.

So many of the Alnico JBL compression drivers from back in the day just dont reach terribly high and it shows. They certainly are not bad sounding drivers at all. Just with their aluminum domes and engineering from that era, reaching 20K wasnt that important. But to be fair, they didnt have sources in the homes or even studios that demanded 20K be pronounced IN GENERAL!!!!! Yes Im aware they well knew of the range up to 20K. But just looking at most examples from that time frame, say early 70s on back to the 50s. Clearly this wasnt a top concern. Understandably so.

Yeah most of the ring radiators from JBL just didnt do it for me. To each their own. Im sure one Id dig is out there. I just havnt heard one yet in my limited experience.

Id almost forgotten we both have a pair of mutt Alnico EV 15" driver. Same pair you and I. Mine are still blown. Will see what happens with em.

Hey what have you cobbled together with all your drivers over the years? System wise? You know, paired what up with what. Crossover was and points were? With all your experimenting you must have done some fun stuff :)

I still have the JBL EN5C home use custom cabinets JBL made a small run of. I sold the all the drivers that were in em long ago (LE15 LE85 077) and plan to put 2234H 2118H and 2416H on 2342 butt horns. Have all the parts built up. Just gotta cut the baffles properly to do it. Hoping Ill get lucky and the originals work with some crafty cutting. If not oh well, new wood. No big deal. I found only other fellow on the net do exactly this. One real obscure post somewhere. I see no reason why such a config couldnt sound simply amazing!

All the best man. And again, I know I keep saying this, Ill give a ring. My fathers health went to sh*t and allots been going on on my end. Nothing too tragic. And no baby mom drama ;)

All the best man. And I hope you come down to WI for the summer. I still wanna meet up.

Later bud!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.