Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: I don't know if you guys remember or not a few years ago I had gone on a buying binge of woofers and

Was about to sign off but I had to put in one more comment.

No doubt some well done field coils can out do alnico magnets, no argument there but please note the WELL DONE part.

I have known and bought and built many horns from Bruce for years, I think he was saying the ferrites were just as good so some of his customers could be able to afford his speakers and may recommend the ferrite for them. I think towards the end before he retired he went to field coils and left permanent magnets for dead anyway though.

I would like to say that if anyone likes an always inferior ferrite magnet version of a driver there is something really wrong with that picture. As I mentioned the drivers need identical cones or diaphragms and fully charged alnico to make a fair comparison.

Now I have heard of some out there saying there may be a weird phenomena
that some ferrite magnets work ok and sometimes actually better than alnico with certain solid state amps. I don't know about this, I have not experienced it myself but I am actually very open minded even though I have very strong opinions.

If somebody is willing to demonstrate or explain their position, I am always all ears...on any audio topic.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.