Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Very interesting... be great to know more

I am about to go to bed so I can't ramble too much.

First thing, I may be rambling but keep in mind I do try to choose my words with care to clearly convey my thoughts. Although somehow I did not communicate that well when I was trying to get my message across to you about the wood horn thing. I do NOT in any way mean to say I dislike using wood for horns construction. I dislike terrible vintage wood horns.

Read it again, I was talking about melting some awful vintage horns down and I thought it was understood I was going to use the awful VINTAGE WOOD horns underneath to make the fire that melt's the metal vintage horns usually mounted on top.

The next paragraph I talk about using vintage drivers with new wood horns
as the way to go, so maybe you were just laughing too hard at the idea of setting the vintage horns on fire from the previous paragraph you didn't read that?

I do appreciate many different kinds of quality hifi products from different eras and different philosophies. A high end hi-fi museum has always been a thought in my mind, seems like it would help today's designers not to go backwards if they could hear the greatest of the great's from yesteryear all in one spot.

I have a few systems I listen to right now I have some custom vintage JBL direct radiators I am building as well as some super high end 5 way horns all in the works at the moment but you have to realize a 5 way horns and the 5 cubic foot JBL 3 way all need a pretty big room to blend and not overwhelm the room with bass. I have noticed by listening to literally hundreds of rooms at audio shows the biggest mistake made over and over is many companies try shoving big speakers in much too small a hotel room.

So yes horns and big speakers are great if the room allows.

And as far as two ways go in my garage/workshop I have a set of JBL L26 speakers with 127a woofers (same as L26 original 125a woofer but without the bad sounding inverted dustcap) and original, hard foam Le-25 tweeters.

Bought them for $50 off Craigslist with crap $5 MCM woofers in them but the MCM's came out immediately and put the 127a's that I had laying around in them and 127a's worked great.

At first I kind of chuckled at the BOOM-Sizzle 1970's sound of the L26 but then I brought the tweeter back to about -4 from factory setting on the L-pad and plugged up the ports to make a sealed box. Hmm, way better sound but bass not quite there now so I put them on stands with a solid front to couple to the floor and then leaned them back for time alignment. Better but I still needed to cheat and use a very small amount of eq on the woofer below 100hz to get them just right until I mount them in this bigger box I have laying around.

Now all of the above tweaks and set up will make the lowly JBL L26 embarrass some way more expensive new speakers and maybe I should have a video when I casually put on my "junk" JBL "bought on Craigslist for $50" workshop speakers for people without talking them up. Even seasoned audiophiles are impressed with the sound.

The thing I am getting at is that with some tweaking and experimentation you could get sound from speakers way better than they have any right to sound, so it is not always having the "best of everything that guarantees good sound...ok I am way tired, signing off now.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.