Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Vintage speakers. Alnico Ferrite so on. The good the bad and ugly. Experiences audiomind ;)

Another though on the "perceived dynamics" horn speaker/s I am guessing they had the wrong amps on them.

Horns are brutally honest about the sound of your amps, good bad and ugly.

Had an Altec model 18 with alnico 604/mataray/tangerine phase plug, etc. and it sounded flat and unlistenable even with some decent tube amps and also amps that had some power (forget most solid state amps on these unless you enjoy torture)

Then a single ended 7-8 watt Airtight tube amp was put on them and holy smokes dynamics, smooth sound...woah WTF?

I was just about to roll the Model 18's out to the curb for the trash to pick them up until I put the right amps on them and realized they need the best amps OR ELSE!!!. No I was not really gonna wheel them to the trash but they were about to be put in storage.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Vintage speakers. Alnico Ferrite so on. The good the bad and ugly. Experiences audiomind ;) - Audio Mind 18:04:17 02/21/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.