Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Vintage speakers. Alnico Ferrite so on. The good the bad and ugly. Experiences audiomind ;)

Unfortunately you are right saying that MOST horn systems have exaggerations but that does not mean all do.

I will stick my neck out again here and say MOST quality vintage alnico drivers if in good condition are great, usable and compete or sometimes surpass the performance of newer drivers.

Now in my not so humble opinion, most vintage horns (not the drivers) should be melted down and the metal used to make then in to cowbells and the wood horns could be set on fire to melt down the metal horns to be energy friendly. I am only half joking here and this is from a guy with a whole garage full of vintage horns! So few good horns in the vintage world.

Anyway, vintage drivers on a modern design 4-5way round or elliptical wood horn system if done properly and used with good amps will erase from your mind that a horn loudspeaker could ever sound bad, harsh or heaven forbid, have only "perceived dynamics"...man that perceived dynamic horn speaker must be one of the most sorry horn speakers on the planet.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.