Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

yeah the 1500AL sounds neat.... but

It sure gives credit to the virtues of Alnico.

That being said, when most of JBL's home and pro drivers are about 94 db efficient or more in most cases. Does it really matter that the magnetic core can withstand 5K watts of power / heat? Will there ever be a even remotely realistic scenario where that would or could occur? I cant imagine the coil could come close to withstanding such current. Let alone sustained current. They bring up in the article that in order to design a suspension system to take the extreme excursion they designed a dual spider system rather than compromise the surround to save face for the dynamics. Reminded me of the old Cerwin Vega stroker design.

Not trying to slam the driver by any means. It just kinda reminded me of a number game design. Not sure just how much of its extremes really matter in overall performance in practice. I tried finding a spec sheet for the driver that gave more specifics. Couldnt find one. Weird. I was really curious just what its sensitivity was???

Again not trying to slam the thing. This driver may very well have been a landmark achievement. Just when the dust settles physics still dictates what can and will be achieved with a speaker and its limits.

The big reason why I like the old ferrite bass drivers from JBL isnt really the magnet. Its the fact they have far greater power handling and Xmax ranges in many cases. On lansingheritage its often talked about, the differences between a LE15A and a 2235H. In a nut shell the H has around 2x or more the power handling and over 2x the Xmax. All while being nearly the same efficiency. Its simply going to make more bass and take more power. While not all folks listen at levels that would make a LE15A inadequate. Just if one wants a system that will go that extra mile, the newer drivers like the 2234 or 2235 were nice new additions. I really like them more than the older LE15A drivers I used to use. Both great drivers just different abilities.

I got a kick out of a paragraph I found while trying to find info on above drivers.... Its from an admin over there...

"Most of the qualifying 4" motors will loose 1 - 1.5 dB unless they are pummeled. Some of the older 3" with really short magnets, like the 2213A and 123A will typically be around 3 dB down. They go really easily. The old Decade woofers (116A and 127A) only had to see an amplifier in the room and they got really nervous. FYI, the new 1500Al used in the S9800 can take continued pulses of 5000 watts and loose no more than 1%. The test can only be done a few times before the coil is destroyed, but the magnetic assembly is totally stable."

All this being said Im sure a wonderful woofer or sub could be made around Alnico. But considering few exist today, it begs the question why. I assume cost of production plays a large part. And would the gains it MAY present be worth it. Who knows. All this may change in time. Like you say of batteries for power. If a better design comes forward...

Again neat design and sounds very impressive. Sadly its as rare and costly as say a MC-3500

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.