Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Post favorite vintage EL84 amps and why

Sherwood S-5000 rebuilt by Mike Samra.

I have had a few EL84/7189 based amps. As you indicated in your post - there is no bad EL84/7189 based amp. They are just so dammed musical and full sounding.

I have owned three Stromberg Carlson ASR-433 integrateds, a Magnavox console (my grandfather's), a Fisher sa-16, and a Sherwood S-5000. The Sherwood is a 1st series with big transformers and a 5 tube preamp section.

Let me just preface my comments; Any vintage amp/integrated will require a rebuild from a qualified tech before being put into service.

The Stromberg Carlson asr-433 is the sleeper. It doesn't have the massive transformers like those on the S-5000, but they are adequate for the 12 wpc it puts out. If you have efficient speakers (or at least a benign impedance) this thing can sound really really good. These can be had for $150 to $350 depending on condition all day long. The S-C asr-433 pictured top I sold to inmate Viridian 6 or 7 years back. The one pictured below I had rebuilt and still own.

The Fisher sa-16 is another nice little amp. It does not do bass the way the S-5000 does, but is as detailed and it really responds to tube rolling.

The Sherwood S-5000 is the best of the EL84/7189 amps that I have heard.
You can do a search and find plenty of posts and opinions (all good) about this amp. I currently have one that was rebuilt by none other than Mike Samra that I can't say enough great things about. I am ashamed to admit that I haven't really listened to it for 3 weeks as I was crushed by "the list". The list was given to me a month ago by my wife in preparation for our daughter's wedding last weekend.

Full, detailed, sweet, and gutsy are the words that best describe it. I run 6p14p-er and Amprex 7189 output tubes along with Telefunken smooth plate 12ax7's. As Eli stated, the Russian 6p14p is a very rugged and good sounding tube and a viable option to the nearly unobtanium nos 7189.

Edits: 02/20/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.