Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Regarding HF

I think in 1972 or so when these speakers were built, we were not as obsessed with high frequency detail...

The bad thing about listening to modern equipment now-a days is that once you consistently listen to solid high frequency content - when the content is gone - the experience is dulled as well.

I wouldn't call myself "obsessed" then or now, but have always enjoyed hearing the natural extension of cymbals, brushes, shakers, bell trees, triangles, etc. In 1972, I owned Large Advents which were definitely shy in the top octave. I supplemented them with Microstatic tweeters, intended to improve range and dispersion for many speakers of that day.

I also learned the role that the electronics played around that time. By '74, I was using an HK Citation 11 with a Crown D150 amp to drive them. A dealer friend loaned me his Audio Research SP3a for a weekend. What a difference that made at the top! I can still remember how much more natural the shakers that open Steely Dan's Do It Again sounded.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.