Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: KLH 5 bass response

Lots of things need to be done with Fives to get them working right. What sealant did you use? Did you apply it on the woofer dust cap? Do not put any more on the woofer surround, you may have already over doped it. You only need and should put on enough to fill in the pores, not paint them.

Did you pull the woofers when you worked on them? If so, you need to carefully clean off the old driver to baffle seai, usually mortite that has stffened. It no longer will seal even if it still feels pliable. If not it presents a larger airleak than the surround. Then the midrange drivers are in a box. On some the wires enter a fairly good sized hole that was plugged and on many the plug dislodges. The hole needs to be filled in so the mid enclosure is isolated and sealed from the woofer and the midrange surrounds need to get a coating of the sealant used on the woofer but not the midrange dust caps. If you pulled the crossover to change the caps the old crossover to box needs to be cleaned off and replaced. Usually if the tweeter is not disturbed to original sesl is still good.

You also may be hearing a bass problem because of the caps. KLH used inexpensive caps and the sound shows it. If the midrange cap is way out of spec, the midrange may become to pronounced seemingly making the woofer to be weak. Just assume rhe caps need to be replaced.

Lastly, try another amp. I had not been happy with my Fives, the mids seemed to pronounced and the driver to driver integration not as smooth as I knew they should be. I was not the person who had replaced the caps and I suspected their quality. Last week I switched them from my Sherwood that seems to love every speaker they have ever had connected it. I put them on my Sony STR6120 and omg. What a huge difference. Everything just dialed in perfectly. While the caps may possible could be better and may solve the issue with the Sherwood, it was definitely an amp issue. Sadly, just about then, a tweeter gave out. I had just finished getting the Fives working; so disappointing. I do not have the energy to dig back into them.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: KLH 5 bass response - Brian Levy 06:22:09 02/20/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.