Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Eh depends on the amp

Nearly all the amps I use in the house are simply not practical to run off any normal battery.

Not that a PS stage cant be engineered to ramp up voltage. But just looking at 100+ watt class AB amp sections like I mostly use I just dont see any point. You figure the rail voltage is often 40-90+ in some cases. How long or how many batteries would you want sitting around??? Why bother. Sure some low powered SS amps with lower rail voltage could get away with such a setup easier, but again why bother? Then you look into something to shut down the amp and remove it from the cell so you can safely charge it. Just seems like so much work.

That being said theres always the new class D stuff. Much easier to get away with such an approach if one cares to.

Ill always remember a tech I used to use talking about such things and power conditioners. Paraphrasing for him, all that stuff is BS. If you properly design a PS for an amp you dont need any of that. It should properly decouple the wall voltage and keep it steady and remove the common noise found in an AC line. Clearly this doesnt account for excessive volt sag or extreme noise. But in a relatively normal environment. Im not smart enough on the topic to take a strong and credible stance. But my experiences show this view to be pretty well founded.

When talking the power you say May's amp generated I dont see any worry of dynamics LOL. Most of those sub 10 watt (minus a Pass class A amp ;) dont need boat loads of current or volts. I dont see any harm here. Not to mention the car audio scene. Clearly a 12v based amp can be made that sounds great and has loads of dynamics. I just dont see the need when one has nice AC lines in the home. At least not for my needs.

Im with you tho. For my high power class AB output SS amps... A good ol big ass linear PS sure sounds good to these ears :)

And yes Brian's guitar is another one off work of art like the player himself. I also really dig the mellow laid back sound of the late Jim Hall's playing. Not that he had a signature amp sound per se. But his playing sure had a signature sound to my ears. And he favored a mellow milky amp sound to my ears. Kinda reminds me of my 69 Traynor YSR-1 head I had rebuilt. Left the coupling caps there as they were fine. But PS caps replaced and I had a giant hammond choke added as mine didnt get one from the factory for some reason. SS rectification with EL34 PP power. My god that head is thick, milky with a nicely rolled top end. But if you want over drive or pedal distortion it wont let you down either. Just balls to the wall power. Love it. Total opposite of the Sunn Sentura I had rebuilt. Very marshall bright and in your face. Oddly enough GZ34 rectified. Again just funny how a circuit can change the sound regardless of common stereo types. But Im sure being a designer yourself this is all, well duh, thoughts LOL....

Again thanks for the input and info. Love hearing all this stuff and folks takes.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.