Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: And know you understand the "personal" comment

1.Wouldn't you want to use a choke with solid state rectifier also?

Yes, I would. I just find I like the sound of tube rectifiers. Damper diodes are some of the best IMHO.

2.What about pentode wired in triode?

Those are fine. Often better than they are as pentodes if you don't need the power. Pentodes aren't evil though. They can even make wonderful driver tubes.

3.I am curious on which parts you are referring to that can't be bought any more besides the filter cap cans? (even those have people who gut them and stuff them with new caps.) Weird output transformers?

Yes, the output/interstage transformers. And to a certain extent chokes that are used to load tubes and/or split phases. It is these very parts that account for the high prices of some vintage amps. Check out prices on anything western electric, the old rca theatre amps, some of the altec lansing, brooks 12a, etc. Remember the feedback loops (global ones) have to be designed around these parts behavior. So cloning some of the better older amps isn't so simple without the original parts.

I also wouldn't spend the money on an Acrosound 20/20 at high retail but now that I know they are a good sounding amp I spend a few bucks to pick one up in a dusty corner where I may have passed on it before and that is the point of the thread finding the pecking order of vintage amps.

I wish you luck. Better chance with an old magnavox:)

Yes 6sn7's are some of my favorite driver tubes but are pretty rare in comparison to the 12XXX family unfortunately.

One of the advantages of building your own is using non-standard tubes. Often tubes were offered in a range of heater voltages, some of them in seemingly odd ball voltages like 8 volts (8SN7GTB). Then you have the fact that a 6cg7/6fq7 is basically a 6sn7 in a 9 pin mini tube. Or consider a 7n7 in the locktal base. So if you are flexible there are values to be had. And in some cases, new production tubes, or old eastern block tubes, can be outstanding.

It should go without saying that anything with a 12XXX tube dates itself past the best years (IMHO) of tube audio amps.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.