Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Dabbling with Bose 901 Series 2

I'm reflecting n the design of the EQ unit a bit. I think in 1972 or so when these speakers were built, we were not as obsessed with high frequency detail, there were a lot of speakers that, by design,did not attempt to go above 16kHz and we had scratch filters to eliminate the intrusiveness or surface noise from our vinyl playback. And we also listed to a lot of radio, and there was hiss and other unwanted "birdies" as part of that experience. We were willing to do away with the high frequencies to "protect" our listening experience from noise.

In the Boss 901 -2 EQ the 1-2-"Flat" settings had that obvious roll off... in addition there was a Hi frequency filter switch that, when enabled, took all the high end boost away.

The bad thing about listening to modern equipment now-a days is that once you consistently listen to solid high frequency content - when the content is gone - the experience is dulled as well.

This EQ also has a Bass "Contour" switch that appears to be valuable if the 901's were place near a wall - it drops the low frequencies about 6dB with the role off starting at 250-300Hz.
"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat" - Confucius

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.