Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Today's Goodwill find

Fisher speakers while being from NY are not voiced as a New England speaker. Avery Fisher had the speakers made during his reign voiced to what is now the Avery Fisher Music Hall, I think I just heard it is being renamed. He was an avid and accomplished musician and it would be natural he would want to recreate the sound of the hall where he listened to so many live performances. The hall some years ago was renovated and I understand the voicing is quite different now.

Bill Hecht's designed and built the speakers for Fisher. I am not sure if this model uses Hecht's dome tweeter. If so, they are more likely than not pretty much out of spec. There are rubber components that hardened and no longer work for their purpose and replacements are not available. Some years ago I discussed this with Bill and he was amazed anyone was even interested. He was honored persons would be interested in restoring these historic drivers but said as users, pull them and replace them with a new dome tweeter as any would be better.

These are old, er, vintage and likely the caps are due for replacement, also. When, and if, you work on them, make sure the driver to baffle is still decent. From memory the mounted from the inside using the cardboard permanently attached to the frame. Make sure the cardboard is not depressed at the screw holes. While not as critical as acoustic suspension, you still want a decent air seal.

Decades ago, in the days of the card man the Avery period Fisher speskers were considered one of the best small footprint speakers for those who wanted an excellent classical and jazz music experience. Just add your favorite tube or Avery period ss electronics. You can build a really nice period system around these for not a lot of dollars. To go totl, get one of the early receivers that had the ability to add a remote or the 500 receiver with the varactor front end that has the preset fm system. I can not remember if it also had the remote capability. If you get one with the remote ability, get the remote. They are rare and you will pay a premium but it is great. Think of all the guys you can upstage when they want to show off their remote and you flippidly tell them you system from the '60s have it. Really deflated ego. :)

The question then is what turntable. Finding the Lincoln Fisher changer and using it is an option but not a practical option for a daily driver. I would look for a Garrard 301, Thorens 124 II or, Empire 208. Not sure about pricing for of the AR today but, it is an option also but well, looks a bit out of place.

You end up with a real showcase system that actually, if you love classical and jazz, is also a great daily driver.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.