Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Happy To Help - Here's Schematics

Hi Larry - I'm glad to see that it worked out so well! I still haven't tried replacing the stock PECs on any of my VMs - too many projects - but I may try it sometime in the future. I've never found the stock circuit objectionable but, since I've never removed it or rebuilt it, I can't say if I would find an improvement or not.

If there are any other VM owners who want to play with their Tone-O-Matic systems (gotta love the name!), here are the schematics I sent Larry, which include both the tone and loudness sections. VM used the same circuit in all of their Tone-O-Matic equipped systems including the 1448 and 1428 integrateds.

My approach to using the stock VM tone controls has always been to start with them at the minimum (fully counterclockwise) and then gradually turn them up from there. Depending on the speakers, I often end up with the knobs in the "AM" range. With most other amps I usually start in the "flat" position (nominally 12 noon, which really means nothing) and go up from there.

I've currently got a 1428 running in my home office system with the wonderful pair of Rogers LS3/5A monitors I found (at a thrift store for $7.50!) on my way back from the Vintage Radio Show last weekend. Tone controls with these little gems are currently set at about 1 pm. Source is another flea market find - a Sony Playstation 1.

Love the old vintage stuff! =8^)

. . . Charlie

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Happy To Help - Here's Schematics - FlaCharlie 06:18:46 02/15/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.