Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Reliable, surely you jest

I am not sure that is entirely true. This year, because of financial pressures, I have been DIYing my hose repairs. The HVAC in my house is over 10 years old, and I know that if I had a repairman out, they would be pitching for me to replace it. Fortunately, their are online resources for this stuff, and since my father raised me working on electrical equipment, I am very comfortable working with high voltage, and know all the safety procedures. It turns out this stuff is not that hard to fix. My AC just needed some contacts cleaned and tightened. The heater was a bigger job, needing a control board and a hot surface igniter, but under $200 in parts, saved me close to $1,000 in labor (lots of diagnostics). In both cases, even thought the repairs were small, I learned how the devises functioned and how to diagnose problems and fell confident, that if something else goes wrong I can deal with it. I just fixed my washing machine last night.

My point, which I am probably taking to long to make, is that this "throw away" stuff is often fixable. I have decided to take as my model, my parents and there entire generation, "the Greatest Generation". From taking on Fascism and Communism, to spear-heading the industrial revolution to the greatest prosperity the world has ever seen, they took what they had and they made it work. I want that "can-do" attitude, so I humbly walk in their shadow.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.