Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Layout and Design Questions

FL- I can't shed any light on the TFL designation either. But, since nothing else on this thread seems to be on-topic either, I've gotta ask . . .

Did Fender often mount electrolytics right next to (almost touching it seems) the power transformer?? Am I the only one who saw that and cringed?

Another thing I've always questioned about the construction of many (not just Fender) instrument amps is the practice of installing the chassis "upside down". I understand the design goals of allowing for a compact, single, chassis with the controls on top. But, every time the amp is set down (especially if it's hard, a common occurrence during load in/out ) it would tend to try to shake the tubes out of their sockets and most amps don't seem to use any tube retainers. The other issue is heat. Why would you mount an amp so that the maximum amount of heat from the tubes is absorbed by the chassis and, more importantly, by the parts inside? Lots of parts - especially carbon comp resistors - tend to drift in value and excessive heat only makes it worse. I know it's common for engineering decisions to be driven by low manufacturing cost, but still.

. . . Charlie

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Layout and Design Questions - FlaCharlie 04:04:55 02/07/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.