Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

The Original Woofer Issues & A25 very Different from the A25xl

The original woofers used an alnico magnet. That kind of magnet, while very excellent when new, looses force over time. The result is a rolled off, weak bass. The ones that I've heard have had a severely weak bass.

Another issue is that if you shoehorn a modern unit into the old box to replace the old one, you're facing 2 big problems:

1. You'll have to retune the aperiodic vent to the parameters of the new driver. Good luck with that. [AFAIK, aperiodic vents aren't easy to model, even with CAD software.]

2. You should design a proper network, since the new driver's rolloff and post-pistonic breakup modes are different from the old one. If you're an experience filter engineer, that shouldn't be a problem.

Or, you can take the regular route. Just pop whatever they tell you into the box. The result? Sound will come out. Yep. Sound...will...come...out. And, because you did the work yourself, it'll automatically, magically sound....GREAT! No matter how harsh it really is.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • The Original Woofer Issues & A25 very Different from the A25xl - Mike Porper 13:53:09 02/05/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.