Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Sherwood s5000 and 3000 tuner for sale

Sherwood, especially while the original US team was there seemed not to have any component design weaknesses. Most companies were weak in some areawith many in the preamp area, especially phono. Also most jumped on the flavor of the moment technology and continually reinvented the wheel rather than doing it right and then improving it.

Yes, Sherwood never seemed to chase the expensive highest end of the market but, instead concentrated on delivering the same reliability, or better, to those who wanted the best quality but had to live on a budget. Just look at the amp's and tuner from the tube era and for me their first ss units. They were late out of the box with ss, waiting for silicon transistors understanding the germanium were too delicate and circuits too experimental at the time, two violations of their product goals.

I knew of Sherwood decades ago but too much of a snob to accept it. If it was not expensive low production, much talked about in small circles of snobs, then it could not be good enough to be in my house. Heck I had a S5000II and S3000IV sitting on my shelf for a decade before even trying them out. And it was out of near desperation.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Sherwood s5000 and 3000 tuner for sale - Brian Levy 07:19:36 02/05/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.