Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: RIP Radio Shack

Though I never bought much from them as my father had an electrical parts store and we were also a Lafayette catalog franchise, I am much saddened by their demise. The end of an era where electronics went from the lab to mainstream. So many parts stores, magazines for us to build projects, repairing pretty easy; pretty much if a hum, then a cap, if a tube did not light, then the tube.

Little educational kits, showing the concept of a radio, transmitter, motors, magnetism, and other things. More advanced kits such as turntable kits, amplifier and tuner kits, even packaged speaker kits. Antenna kits we can only wish for today. Nothing high end but, very decent mid level across the board pretty much.

My high time with them was during their time manufacturing computers. Started with a Model II I used for my 1st accounting office through the Model 16b used to run my law office. Even though I eventually had to go with IBM clones and none RS software, RS focused on the accounting and legal professions and no one ever better system, hardware or software. The only real advancement in some 30 years for these professions has been the graphic web browser, back the we had Lynx that worked fast and was easy.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: RIP Radio Shack - Brian Levy 09:07:58 02/04/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.