Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Analog-Sounding CD Players

I agree with airtime.... I have a turntable, but have put all of my cds on my old laptop using an external drive - you can get 1 Tbyte for well under $100... I use JRiver Music center, but of course there are many software options, many free. Just use software that can bypass windows and talk directly to your DAC. I bought a Schiit Gungnir DAC with the USB for $750 on sale. So my cost was $49 for Jriver, $80 for a hard drive, $750 for a killer DAC that is far better than all the $300 ones. The sound absolutely trashes my very good Consonance Ref 2.2 CD player which has a tubed output stage and is very analog sounding. So my point is that for under $1000 I put a system together that will better most any cd player you are likely to buy for anything less than "stupid money". I downloaded some hi-res demo files for free and you can hear the DAC click and lock onto the hi-res signal and you can really hear the difference. So have a look at the various digital boards. You can do a system with one of the $300-500 DACs, an old laptop, and an external drive for probably $500-$700 that will be better than most any cd player at twice the price....

my 2 cents...I finally jumped last year

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.