Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: How does this Aiwa LX-110 sound so GOOD?

Well, let me tell you the direct drive motor is nothing special in appearance, and the horizontal tonearm drive is just a DC motor. Apparently, it's decoupled from the cartridge well enough.

What gets me is that it violates so many principles of what most of us probably think a good tonearm or cartridge is. I mean, this cart is really pretty plain, and tiny, and the styli can be had for $30 or less. The construction is plasticky and cheap seeming, though the arm itself is aluminum. The case is thin molded plastic, not a single centimeter is wasted, the deck and lid are just a fraction larger than an LP.

Anyway, it's been blowing my mind all week. The freedom from the angular component of inner groove distortion is really just charming. It makes me want to really look seriously at linear tables again.

But upon more reflection, I think obviously it has to do with the cartridge more than anything, I mean, it really HAS to. I'm just amazed that AIWA put something so utterly decent on there, despite its appearances.

Another side-note is that some records of mine which I've noticed severe inner groove distortion on, on multiple setups, are somehow playing an order of magnitude better on this table. I think perhaps the linear angle is allowing the stylus to get down into parts of the groove that have very little wear on them, even when the record seems shagged out on a conventional setup. I'm talking discs that have sounded like crap on the inner tracks on everything from Grado to old-school Stanton.

Anyway, I'm done blathering on about it just now. In case you're wondering, no I haven't hooked it up to my S-5000 yet, I will certainly do that. I'm almost a little scared to, this AIWA rig sets the bar surprisingly high despite the preamp hiss.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.