Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Retired; want'a play vinyl; should I drag out my old Garrard SL95-B? Needles?

I have an SL-95B, and properly set up, it can track well at 1.5 grams with any number of modern cartridges. I've used Ortofon OM-20, a couple of Audio-Technicas, and an old Grado in it.

The big problem with these, and especially if they've been in storage for a while, is that the grease in all the moving parts tends to harden like glue and jam the mechanism. Sometimes parts can be damaged when this happens. The only cure is to disassemble and clean off the old hardened grease. If you have some mechanical aptitude it's not that hard, just meticulous work. The Vinyl Engine site has the service manual (which mainly consists of an exploded drawing and list of parts) as well as a Garrard forum (link below.) That group covers a lot of different models but there are a number of old threads on the SL-95B and related models.

If you have the large hole 45 spindle, there's no better way to play a stack of singles!

Hope this helps!

Mike

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.