Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: You picked the ugly one!

Not aware of any modern mainstream commerical amps using CCS's. Can't say I keep up anymore honesty. Bottlehead has long been using them though.

The EL34 is pretty easy to drive as a pentode, little more difficult in ultra-linear, and much more difficult when triode strapped.

The dynaco vs marantz is a prime example of a cheap circuit design compared to a superior one. Dynaco has good output transformers. All the rest isn't so good....although the idea of using a pentode as a voltage amp has merit. Assuming we are talking the same marantz....there you can see some excellent engineering on the values chosen for the feedback loop.

Rel was a bit of an audiophool name. Think more about material/type of construction. A good name brand polyproplene and tin foil wrapped cap is plenty good enough. Truth be told, most audiophool brands don't make the caps they sell. Back in the day F-dyne was one of my best value caps. 716b orange drops and vitamin q caps rounded out my aresenal.

I work maintenance at a hospital. I get to see what the best cutting edge medical devices use as well as things like diesel generators. After 30+ years I have a good idea of what performs well and lasts. Take my word for it, 99% of the names mentioned for audio caps/resistors would never be seen in such equipment.

Today the average joe can afford test equipment only the richest company could a couple/few decades ago. It really is an age of oppertunity for the diyer. You just have to invest in the education to know how to use them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.