Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: 2 Tannoy Silver monitor floor standing speakers how much are they worth?

Fifty-something years ago, I bought a fifteen-inch Silver from Audio Exchange in Manhattan, and put it in a fifteen cubic-foot enclosure. It sounded absolutely wonderful.

Like the Red and Gold series that followed and the Black that preceded it, the Silver's surround was a continuation of the paper cone. Almost all speakers from those times were designed this way.

Later, this was described as a 'self surround' to distinguish it from the corrugated cloth and half-roll surrounds that became de rigueur in the '60s. Tannoy continued to embrace the self-surround concept through the Red and Gold series that followed the Silver, then switched to a half-roll surround in the Tannoy HPD.

The self-surround and half-roll surround each has advantages and disadvantages. Half-roll surrounds (except for the ones made out of butyl rubber) were prone to 'foam rot,' and needed to be replaced after ten or fifteen years.

Self-surround speakers do not deteriorate in this manner. But deteriotae they do. And after many years of service, they often develop cracks along their circumference that may easily be missed, especially by audiophiles with stars in their eyes.

These cracks first appear on the surface, but with time and use, they will deepen until the surround and spider are no longer able to keep the voice coil centered, and obvious distortion occurs. In such a case, the only long-term cure is a complete re-cone.

As you can imagine, original equipment cones for fifty-plus year old speakers aren't easy to come by. And while it might be possible to retrofit a slightly more readily available cone from a Red or Gold, such a cobbled together speaker would be valueless to collectors.

Of course, this is the Vintage Asylum. But I just want to make sure that you are bidding with your eyes and ears open. In good operating condition, a Tannoy Silver, in a suitable (as in large) enclosure, will sound wonderful. I'd be more than a little cautious, however, about using it as my daily driver, and would be loathe to play it loud.

If you like the Tannoy sound (I've owned Silvers, Reds, Golds, HPDs, and 3XXXs), and you are more interested in listening than in collecting, I think you would be better served by seeking out something a little newer. My current c. 1982 GRF Memories, which use the 'modern' 3839M driver, are the best Tannoys I have heard to date.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 2 Tannoy Silver monitor floor standing speakers how much are they worth? - Chef Henry 13:37:05 01/27/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.