Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Help Needed with a Preamp for a Grundig 4088 EES

Greetings,

I have a Grundig 4088 EES tube receiver that I'll be pairing with a Dual 1019 turntable. Both have been restored, so there should be no issues there. Also, the receiver has its own internal speakers. Being from the late 50s, the phono input of the receiver is set up for ceramic cartridges, but I'll be using a magnetic cartridge (Pickering XV-15) with the turntable, so I'll need a preamp to make it work with the receiver.

I want to maintain the vintage character of this system, so I'm looking at tube preamps from the 60s and early 70s; probably something along the lines of a Dynaco or Heathkit. I'm new to hi-fi and have very little technical knowledge. That being said, my main concern in choosing a preamp is that it'll be compatible with this receiver in terms of power, impedance matching, etc. I don't want to damage anything (including myself).

Some specs of the receiver are here: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundig_4088ees_4088_ees.html. I can provide the schematic, if that would be helpful.

Would a preamp of the aforementioned class be suitable for this receiver? Would an integrated tube amp also be an option, even though the receiver already has a power stage?

I recognize that compatibility may well depend on the particular preamp model. If that's the case, please explain what I should look for to determine compatibility.

If there's anything else that I should know about assembling this system, please feel free to offer your two cents.

Thanks very much!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Help Needed with a Preamp for a Grundig 4088 EES - curtishinckley 15:08:34 01/23/15 (14)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.