Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Help out a n00b who needs a new TT

First post on the forum, have been reading through posts quite a bit, hope yall can help me out.

For years now I've been listening to my records on my pop's old MCS 6502 through a cheapo preamp I bought on eBay. It didn't sound great, but it did the job. I recently tried to take off the stylus/cartridge and one of the tonearm wires broke. I'm not that great with a soldering iron, so I decided it was time to step up my rig.

From what I've read, the 6502 is not as good as other MCS TTs such as the 6600 series. I was thinking about buying the Technics AT-LP120 new, but I'm an old school kind of guy and I think I'd prefer a used/vintage TT. I've found a few and would like some opinions. My budget is around $250, but considering the setup I came from I definitely don't need audiophile quality stuff.

Some of my options, from Craigslist and Ebay. All are in working order, cartridge listed if known:

Kenwood KP-3021 - ~$70 (CL) - I can't find much about this, except that the model no. is strange (most apparently start w/ KD). Can anyone tell me a similar model Kenwood to read up on, or offer opinions about this? Cartridge is unknown, is labeled 'N34' on the front.

Dual CS 505-1 - ~$100-175 (EBay) - Two available, neither tells cartridge type, looks like it could be original (has no brand or numbers indicated).

Technics SL-1500 - ~$225 (EBay) - Sonus 5 cartridge

Technics SL-D3 - ~$160-250 (EBay) - Two available, one has AT cartridge ($160), one has Shure SC35C cartridge ($250)

Pioneer - PL-560 - ~$250 (EBay) - Stanton Cartridge

Thanks for any help opinions you can provide!
Jason

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Help out a n00b who needs a new TT - blzbba 08:24:28 01/25/15 (11)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.