Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Well guys thx, I should have said "antique" instead...

+1 on the Sherwood tube amps. Any are great. I had a S5000II for some years and absolutely loved it and it ran circles around so many other tube integrated tube amps that I had over the years.

If you prefer ss, then shop for a Sherwood S9500. I have a S9500c. It is the ss replacements for the S5000II. The company waited until silicon transistors were available to bypass the more fragile germanium and give greater time to develop an excellent ss circuit. It is really the S5000II circuit converted to ss. The sound has not transistor artifacts as most of that vintage do and is close to the S5000II voicing without being overly tube sounding as some companies did when voicing their early ss products. The S9500c replaced my McIntosh C28/MC2105 combo. I do not miss the McIntosh combo at all. The amp is a solid 20 watts rms ftc and I have not found any speakers it will not work at reasonable levels. If more power is needed there is the S9600 with 40 watts rms ftc. These are scarcer than the S9500. Lucky owner who have them and a S9500 series say the 9600 is even better. Sherwood also made their totl S9000, a 60 watt rms ftc powerhouse. At the time, it was one of the most powerful amps on the market. These are as scarce as he's teeth and owners whom I have talked to system they will never sell theirs but admitted they are not quite as good as the S9500 or S9600, something that plagued many companies; sacrifice sound quality for power.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Well guys thx, I should have said "antique" instead... - Brian Levy 19:26:27 01/22/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.