Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

could be...

Yes, it is very common for 'vintage' equipment to need cleaning of the pots and switches. And that can account for the distorted 'scratchy' sound you hear. With a Marantz like that I think what I would do is take that bottom cover off because that will give you the best access to the controls. Then you want to spray something like deoxit into the body of the volume pot and all the other pots and switches. Then you have to work the controls a bunch of times to spread the spray around. You may need to spray more than once, depending. If you still have a distorted sound then you are going to have to start looking elsewhere. I had a 2252B a while back and it is a nice receiver. If memory serves, you might be able to separate the preamp from the amp section with jumpers in the back. Then you could see if the distortion is in the preamp or the amp section. Also you would want to take note whether the distortion you are hearing is in all sources-- phono, tuner, aux or just one or some. If, for example, you still hear distortion in the AM or FM but not in the Phono or a CD then that points to a tuner problem.

Of course, whether what you received really counts as 'flawless' and '100% functioning' is another issue...

good luck,
--Matt
"When you think everything is someone else's fault, you will suffer a lot."
--Dalai Lama

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • could be... - realistico 07:40:53 01/17/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.