Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Salient Observations About the Sound, Crossover, etc.

Here are excerpts from Dennis Murphy's analysis and user comments:

"My first stereo system, purchased after college graduation in--uh--the second half of the 20th century, consisted of an Eico ST70 tube integrated amplifier, an AR Turntable with a Shure cartridge, and Acoustic Research AR4x speakers. All of these components were Best Buy rated in Consumer Reports..."

"I tried to like them all summer before graduate school, but traded them in for some KLH 6's because the AR's sounded like someone lowered a 1" thick velvet curtain in front of them.

"Flash forward about 300 years...I hooked them up and--it was velvet curtain time. Just as I remembered them.

"The measurements tell the story (which were taken with the tweeter control all the way up). My on-axis plot shows a huge peak at 1 kHz, followed by a cavity at 2 kHz, and then quite smooth response (ignoring the benign peaking in the high treble.)"

"The 1 kHz peak is due almost entirely to a tweeter resonance that the simple 20 uf capacitor high pass filter can't deal with.

"The 1 kHz peak blurs the sound and the 2 kHz dip adds to the lack of detail, but I would have expected a more open sound than I heard just judging form the tweeter performance higher up. The response 30 degrees off axis explains the dullness. The 2" cone tweeter has truly awful dispersion.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.