Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: are these speakers worth anything? newbie speaks advice!

Sound like crap tells us nothing about the speaker or its condition. It may be the speaker, a driver, the crossover, your ears, placement or, the amp that is the root of what you are hearing.

General statements will get general responses so, I suspect the $20 - $200 general statement is close. It is like saying that you can not see so, what should you do.

BTW, asking for prices, especially for a common speaker here can elicit some ire as the board is as a general proposition not about selling things. It is like asking us to do your homework for you. As I suggested before go to eBay if all you want is some selling price. It likely will be a more realistic and reliable source as it is where the market is. Here personal likes and dislikes start to filter in and it can skew the responses. I have a set of speakers, for instance, that I bought for about the average going price in their then condition. They needed caps. After replacing them, I would not sell the speakers for even 3x what I paid. Other recent buyers and owners are of similar opinion but, the eBay prices are still about what I bought mine for. We as a group tend to look at value rather than market price.

As an aside, while not the best from AR, these speskers when working right are for most persons with an amp in the 50 watts rms range with a voicing of say a vintage Pioneer very enjoyable. With a warmer and smoother amp they are quite above average with classical and jazz.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.