Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Reality of 1979 [I Was Alive & Very, Very Well in Jan 1979]

Vinyl records were universally disparaged as inadaquate, both by the high enders [The Absolute Sound, Stereophile]...

You must be thinking of TAS reviewers other than JWC or HP. I knew both at that time and clearly that was not their perspective. Both had huge vinyl libraries. When I would visit either, it wasn't just, I'd like to hear The Planets. It would be, "Which version on which label? I have five." Hearing vinyl on Harry's Goldmund T3 with Koetsu cartridge sounded pretty darn good to me through CJ electronics and the IRS. As a straight line arm, it didn't suffer from inner groove distortion (which is one reason I purchased a Souther TQ-1 in the early 80s). As for clicks and pops, the solution was using a RCM. Similarly, both started with KMAL machines and later moved to VPI models. I purchased my HW-16 in 1982 and have thirty year old records that remain pristine. Are you familiar with the Keith Monks or any of the VPI cleaning machines? They work.

While I find that 96 or 192/24 has bridged the gap in sound quality, the very best vinyl today can sound phenomenal with commensurate playback gear. Fast forward to my last visit to Sea Cliff a couple of years ago. HP was using the Clearaudio Statement, Goldfinger cartridge, VTL electronics, Nordost cabling and Scaena speakers. EMM Labs digital source. Simply breathtaking realism you just didn't find in 1979.

In 1979, I was using my first electrostats, a pair of the Acoustat X with a Frank Van Alstine modified Dyna PAT-5 and a turntable combination I still use today in the garage: Ariston RD-11s with SME 3009. I went through a number of cartridges and arms in that era, but I'm thinking I was using a Grace F9.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.