Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Don't Invalidate Your Vintage Speakers

By making them a Frankenstein, haphazard, groping-in-the-dark combination of something new with something old.

I've posted about this before. Here's what I've said:

The notion of "upgrading" capacitors [and resitors and wiring] is a particulary bad idea. It's actually very intrusive, and very Frankensteining. Most people aren't electronic engineers, with a specialization in filter theory and materials physics. Hence, most of you don't know that those old capacitors you're dying to replace have a value of R, or resistance, that has to be taken into account, since it's an integral part of the crossover design. You can't just pop a new capacitor in.

If you really want to replace the old parts in the crossover, you should get a good measurement mic, mic stand, and mic pre-amp [Parts Express has a good one for about $295.00], and seperate design software to load onto your computer. Individually measure each driver electronically and accoustically. You'll then have to refer back to the original engineering design measurements, to make sure that what you've just measured [and how your speaker's now performing] is within specification.

Once you've done that, your software should be able to identify the correct replacement parts you can put into the crossover. At that point, you'll also have to option to completely redesign the network with a modern optimized one, which would get the maximum possible performance out of the drivers and their enclosure.

But, of course, 2 problems pop up there. #1 - you have to be a pretty talently engineer to come up with a really good design #2 - it's Frankensteining.

It's simple. If you want new gear, buy new gear.

If you want a real vintage experience, then keep it vintage.

I believe in having the most authentic vintage experience possible, not some muddle mixture.

A Frankenstein mix of old and new is...Frankenstein

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Don't Invalidate Your Vintage Speakers - Mike Porper 09:34:52 01/08/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.